Tuesday, November 09, 2004

 

Yes, I do write stuff here sometimes.

Last week, my good friend Bob informed me, via the medium of his face, that he had found this sorry excuse for a blog. So I guess I'd better buck my ideas up!

Classic blog stuff: I had a pretty good weekend by all accounts. Friday night I drunk continuously from 5pm till 2am - first some Juicy Lucys and G&Ts in Clowns, followed by a couple of glasses of wine at home with my lovely girlfriend Carly, then out to Wetherspoons and finally the Nexus. 'Twas a most excellent night, and I suffered accordingly the next day. Saturday night we saw a quite astounding firework display at the Union. It truly was one of the best I have ever seen. Then we went to see The Grudge, which made you jump lots but I don't think would stand up to repeated viewing. Then Sunday night I went to the quiz at the Drummond. We came last, but won a booby prize of crisps or chocolate (it's never actually boobies, is it!), which dare I say is almost worth losing for... I was supposed to go to the Union for Rock Lite but didn't as I was too knackered and had a sore throat :-(

Stuff which might actually be termed "interesting": One interesting thing to come out of the whole Bush (*spit*) debacle is that it's causing people to step back and consider who we are and where we're going. Current opinion suggests that the US is becoming polarised to a degree unseen since the Civil War, with people (e.g. Simon Schama) labelling it "Worldly America vs Godly America" or "Science vs Religion". We have the strange situation where Islamic fundamentalists are denouncing Western culture as sinful and immoral, whilst the Christian fundamentalists are, in a way, also denouncing it (at least the socially progressive parts - those that don't actually affect their way of life). Add to this the fact that birth rates (or replacement rates) in secular parts of the world are generally far lower than in more religious parts, and, well... what will happen to us liberal, peaceful, progressive, scientifically-minded, secular folk?! It's an interesting thought, anyway. I think.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?