Wednesday, December 08, 2004

 

Selfish Chap

I was going to have a quiet evening in last night... watch a bit of football, maybe start thinking about Christmas presents (argh!)... just have some time to myself. But I got badgered into going out and having fun. Damn.

Me, Ben and Hannah went to the Joiners ("The best live music venue in Southampton by miles!"). The first band on, Alice and the Enemies, were a three-piece fronted by a spiky rock chick and sounded like PJ Harvey or Elastica. I really liked them. I bought their EP, although I haven't had time to listen to it yet.

Next were a band who looked vaguely similar (frontwoman with male guitarists & drummer) but sounded quite different. Over repetitive Placebo-esque guitar patterns, the singer wailed and screamed and writhed around on the stage. She looked and sounded quite, quite insane. They were only on for about 15mins or so. Ben really liked them... I found them bemusing to say the least. I can't remember their name.

The final act were different again, and really quite impressive. Three Johnny Rotten-a-like guitarists thrashed in unison over a fearsome drum machine, with punkish call-and-response vocals. The experience was a lot better than I'm making it sound, I promise you (although I wouldn't listen to them on record I don't think!). It was truly exhilarating. And just to add to the effect, they went by the arresting name of Selfish C*nt. On the gig posters they were just "Selfish -" with a blank space. On the one behind the bar, someone had filled in the gap with "Chap".

Hmm. I don't think I'll ever be a music journalist, reading that lot back. Ah well.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?