Wednesday, February 09, 2005

 

Pancakes and Blogs

Last night was extremely pleasant. Myself and 7 good friends, all the pancake batter and all the fillings. And Alan Partridge. And rum. I like evenings round friends' houses. Though it is amusingly ironic that Shrove Tuesday is meant to be about using up leftovers before Lent, whereas now everyone goes out specially to buy flour, milk, eggs and lemon :)

Then it was off to Lennons to imbibe imaginatively foul bottled drinks. At it's peak there were about 12 other people in the place, and it struck me how odd it is that the presence of a few more strangers in the same room can lift the mood of your group. Doesn't really matter who they are - it's just the fact you're not the odd ones out, I guess.

My good friend Liam wrote in an email this morning that it annoys him when people email and ask what he's been up to, but don't write about what they themselves have been up to. I am as guilty of this as anyone. I blame blogs. See, on the one hand, you may think that because of your methodically updated blog, everyone knows what you've been up to, so why repeat it in an email? However, not everyone have the opportunity or inclination to read blogs; and there's also (for me, anyway) the nagging aspiration to be interesting and noteworthy (and brief) rather than trivial, so you leave out a lot of the everyday stuff that your friends would actually like to hear about. I think I'm going to make a belated New Years resolution to contact my friends more often. You have been warned ;-)
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?