Tuesday, March 15, 2005

 

Happy Birthday, Rock!

This time last year saw the first indie/rock event at the Union, after months of petitions, angry emails and meetings with clueless Union officials who suggested booking Busted tribute bands and the like. Congratulations to all involved, most of all to A/IM's fearless leader, Bobface. It was also Al's 22nd birthday yesterday, which makes him 21 years older than Rock. In a sense. (And not The Rock, either. He has a pocket full of cheese and a garden full of trees, you know. Not that it matters...)

Having said that, I have to admit that last night was a bit of a disappointment. After the band (who were actually pretty good, and had a female singer with an incredible voice), A/IM had 1 hour of DJing before the RockSoc folk took over, so I was ready for a bit of dancing before going home. But the setlist was really uninspired, I thought: the same 3 or 4 ska-punk songs I've heard everywhere for the past 4 years or so, QOTSA's "No-One Knows", and I can't even remember much else. When Steph took over at about 20-to-midnight things started looking up, but by then I couldn't really be bothered.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, or maybe I'm missing the point, but I'd like to hear something a bit different: either more new songs I'm not familiar with but could come to love, or older songs that aren't dug up very often but make you smile to hear again. I don't want to criticise too much, because God knows how much effort the guys have put into it, but I just wanted to get that off my chest. Cheers!
Comments:
Heh yeah... it wasn't too great last night. To be honest I wasn't even paying too much attention to what I was playing. But it was a hard night to DJ for some reason, as people only really seemed to be responding to ska.

And it was always intended for me and Hannah to do heavier stuff and then let Mac and Steph bring it down a bit. We had a few people tell us that we "hardly ever play any ska" so we thought we'd break some out last night.

It's just very difficult in the student union to DJ to people who are essentially quite unresponsive to anything except all the usual songs. For example, we played A Favour House Atlantic by Coheed and Cambria, which is always a Rhinos floor-filler. And it left us with 2 people on the dance floor.

It's frustrating, but what else can we do :s

Sorry you didn't have a good time though :(
 
"It's just very difficult in the student union to DJ to people who are essentially quite unresponsive to anything except all the usual songs." -- yeah, I can totally understand that. In a neutral venue like the Union I guess you have to cater to the mainstream, whereas Hammy etc can be far more interesting and eclectic. I think the thing that got to me was that for most of the first half of the 11-12 set I could have been back in the first year and been none the wiser :)
Don't be sorry, though, Bob. I still had a good time :)
 
The problem with ska is that there have been no big ska tunes released in the last few years, really. No good new stuff coming out :S

Less Than Jake keep trying, bless em, but any new ska songs would be greeted with an empty floor.
 
Hmm. A good point. Maybe I should make more requests. I guess I like the anticipation of what's coming next, but maybe that's a bit, er... (searches for appropriate word) aloof, maybe? Anyway, like I say, I don't mean to criticise; you guys do a great job :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?