Saturday, March 26, 2005

 

Happy Easter!

Back in Malvern for Easter weekend. I've had 2 great nights out already, both similar in some ways and very different in others.

Thursday night was a reasonably quiet evening with some good friends in a local pub (one that we've only recently found, incidentally, but that could well be our local for the forseeable future!). A guy called Bill was there, who apparently has been friends with my friend Rachael for most of their lives, yet I'd never even heard of him until now. Anyhow, he is in his first year of Uni and already a budding dance producer and DJ (on student radio for now, but has ambition). He's open minded about music, though, and is also partial to a bit of indie.

Then last night I went up to Brum for my friend Helen's 22nd. This was a much bigger affair, and other than Helen I only knew one other person there. Her boyfriend Ben, apart from his day job as a graphic designer, is... a budding dance DJ and producer. He also likes his indie, and is generally a good bloke, apart from some unfortunate Human Traffic-esque phrases ("Yeah, man..." "Mate!" "Sound!" "Happy days!").

I thus had similar conversations with both Bill and Ben :)

Anyway, we ended up at the Carling Academy, which on Friday nights hosts an indie club. I've been to the Academy a couple of times to see bands, and it turns out that on club nights it looks pretty much exactly the same - the DJ is at the front of the stage, and there are a few more tables and booths, but otherwise... It's a huge place, and it apparently very rarely gets full - which is great for not having to fight to get in, but which also means that it always seems a bit quiet, despite the fact that there must have been several hundred people in there. It was a good night though!

One other thing: both those nights were very well organised - Rachael phoned me about half 8 and we were in the pub just after 9, and Helen had told everyone to get to hers for 6, and after eating we left about half 7 and were in the pub just after 8. Both evenings were organised by women. What can this mean?!
Comments:
The Morgan, in Link Top, just a few doors down from where Dom Ped's used to be. And I mean Rachael Leahy. I can never remember whether she has an extra 'a' or not...
 
Ah, thanks :)

Yeah, I see what you mean about the Morgan being "Stella-y". I guess it's less your kind of place than it is ours, maybe.

I used to go the Nag's years ago with Laura, Claire, Mike etc. I remember it being good. We were meant to end up there on Thursday night, but you know how intertia takes hold after a couple of beers...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?