Wednesday, March 09, 2005

 

Why football is better than Hollyoaks...

(...coming from a Hollyoaks fan!)

Wow. I would just like to say to any football haters: if you weren't absolutely gripped by last night's Chelsea-Barcelona game then you must be dead inside. I don't think it calmed down for a second until Frank Lampard tried to hide the ball between himself and the corner flag in the 91st minute (it didn't work).

The trouble is, such games only occur a couple of times in a season, if that. The rest of the time, speaking for me at least, I watch football in the hope rather than the expectation that the game will be exciting. But you've got to watch, just in case. Of course, this applies more to a European match involving a top English team than to either the average Premership game or England international (where frequent ineptitude rather takes the gloss off the proceedings). But there's always the possibility of genuine, unexpected, unscripted excitement. Broadly speaking, then, I reckon sport is like the male equivalent of soaps and Big Brother... but as an occasional soap/BB watcher myself, and hardly the blokiest of blokes, I still say football is better.

Thank-you for your time :)

Oh, and if the game itself doesn't really interest you, like my female housemates last night, you can always laugh at the silly names. There's a Barca player named Xavi that the commentators insisted on pronouncing "Chavvy". And that's not even to mention Ronaldinho's face... ;)
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?