Monday, April 18, 2005

 

A trip to the Zoo!


Click here for more photos!


So yesterday (Sunday) I went up to London to meet some family (and some family-to-be) and go to the Zoo, as described in my previous post. Things didn't start off well. We were meant to meet at the entrance at 11am, and sure enough at 11am prompt my bro texted me to say he'd arrived ("LONDON BABY! Yeah! I win" may have been his exact words). Unfortunately, I was still at Clapham Junction and Hannah and Crispin were "nearly there but a bit lost". I sympathised with them soon enough when I also got lost between the Tube station and the entrance and ended up in a random Camden council estate. Since Andy, my bro, is renowned for his lack of direction or geographical knowledge, it seemed just a tad unfair that he apparently found it so easy. Eventually, at about 12pm and nearer 1pm respectively, Hannah & Crispin and myself staggered in.

After that, however, it was great. A gorgeous day, good company and ALL teh animals. Granted, a lot of them were asleep or not to be seen (maybe Sunday is a day of rest in the animal kingdom, too), but we still saw a lot.

Best bits: the giraffes, penguin feeding time, the walk-through monkey enclosure, some not-particularly-large snakes swallowing mice whole (took them about 5 mins each), a snail bigger than your hand, and various odd-looking lizards. I particularly loved the elephant shrews, which are almost entirely round balls of fluff with little shrewy noses. Their legs seem too close together, adding to their rounded appearance but making you fearful of them falling head-over-heels! They were behind glass in quite a dark room so I couldn't take a photo, but here's one I found on t'internet. Sooo cute!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?