Sunday, February 11, 2007

 

Meet me on my vast verandah, my sweet untouched Miranda

Well, hello there. I'm a little bored. I have been most of this weekend, to be honest... it's been a bit of a nothingy one. I suppose I shouldn't complain; my "school nights" have been rather fun recently, what with pub quizzes, rehearsals (8th to 10th of March, people... put it in your diaries :p), playing with Flickr's geotagging system (check it out, Flickr types; it's pretty awesome) and seeing bands. Unfortunately, on the down-side, my laptop is very unwell -- both the keyboard and mouse have decided they can't be arsed responding anymore. In the meantime I've taken my work laptop home instead.

Back to the bands, though: on Wednesday myself and Al saw the Bluetones and partied like it was 1996. I was a big fan of theirs back in the day (hell, I still am!), so I was pleased to see they've still got it, both as a live act and as songwriters -- their new stuff, while nothing spectacular, is still very catchy and hook-laden. Mark Morriss seemed a bit annoyed with the crowd's lack of enthusiasm, though!

Then on Friday, and on a whim really (although to be fair some people I knew were going anyway) I saw the fantastic Decemberists. I knew very little about them before the gig, and it was the first time in ages that I felt I'd "discovered" a great new band. They have shades of the Arcade Fire, Belle and Sebastian and Sufjan Stevens, among others; but a little less serious then the first and a little louder than either of the latter two. Live, in addition to the usual guitars and keyboards, they use an accordion, a double bass, a violin, and even a hurdy-gurdy, which I'd heard of but never seen before. Check 'em out if you've not come across them... and if you have, why didn't you tell me? :p

I woke up on Saturday morning feeling slightly dull-headed but fairly relaxed, and thought I'd put the radio on. But hang on -- where have all the Radio 4 Saturday morning/lunchtime comedy panel shows gone?! It was all politics and documentaries... interesting stuff, I'm sure, but I was in the mood for something a little more light-hearted. So what's good to listen to on weekend mornings these days, radio-wise? Cheers!

Ooh, I've just been invited along to the pub for a Sunday roast. Things are looking up!
Comments:
Aha! Sometimes I Write My Thoughts Down Mk I returns! Things are looking up indeed...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?