Monday, February 26, 2007

 

A pair of ducks, a pair of ducks, a most ingenious pair of ducks

Phew! What a weekend. Up at normal worky time on Saturday morning for an all-day rehearsal, by the end of which I was swaying about from tiredness and my throat ached. I'd previously agreed to go along to the final night of You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown that evening, and at the time all I really wanted to do was have a nap... but I'm glad I went along because it was damn good. It's basically a series of set-pieces based on the Peanuts comic strips, with a few musical numbers mixed in. All very random, but very funny. After that, I finally went to bed. Sunday I had a bit of a lie-in before heading off to help with set-building for the show. This involved lots of noisy power tools, which was aces, obviously, but again pretty tiring! As my boss is off ill today, I've rewarded myself by not doing terribly much.

Going back a bit now, Thursday was pretty cool, too. Myself, Bob and his office-mates went to see The Science Of Sleep, the new film from Michel Gondry (who directed the excellent Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind). Science Of Sleep is a lot less mainstream, and I'm not sure I quite liked how it ended, but it's very imaginative and the animation sequences are fabulous. It's one of those films where you've just got to go along with it and not worry too much. Anyway, on the way back, we walk past a bar called The Platform Tavern. I mention to Bob that I've never been in there and really must sometime because it looks interesting... and we slow down and glance at each other, then towards the bar, then back at each other...

A thoroughly enjoyable couple of pints and a folk band later, we continue on our way home. A little later we pass The Red Lion, which claims to be the oldest pub in Southampton. "I've never been in here either", say I. So we do. It wasn't quite as fun, and my beer tasted distinctly off, but it's a grand old building -- you can just imagine the medieval revelry -- and they had a pet parrot too!

Finally I should just mention Kombat Opera Presents, a new series for Sunday evenings on BBC2, nicely sandwiched between Top Gear and MOTD2. Bob demanded we watch it, and it was ace. It's from the same people who did Jerry Springer: The Opera, and each week they spoof a different TV show in the style of an opera. Last night it was The Apprentice, with John Thompson as Sir Alan Sugar (he doesn't sing though, unfortunately!). Very silly, in the best possible way.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?